Monday, May 25, 2009
Pentecost (Ancient Greek: πεντηκοστή [ἡμέρα], pentekostē [hēmera], "the fiftieth day") is one of the prominent feasts in the Christian liturgical year, celebrated on the 49th day (7 weeks) after Easter Sunday - or the 50th day inclusively, hence its name. Pentecost falls on the tenth day after Ascension Thursday. Historically and symbolically related to the Jewish harvest festival of Shavuot or the day, fifty days after the Exodus, on which God gave the Ten Commandments at Mount Sinai, Pentecost now also commemorates the descent of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles and other followers of Jesus as described in the Book of Acts, Chapter 2 in the New Testament. For this reason, Pentecost is sometimes described as "the Church's birthday".
In the story recounted in the Acts of the Apostles, the apostles went out into Jerusalem prophesying and speaking in languages that all the visitors to Jerusalem could understand ("God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven... each one heard them speaking in his own language."). This is where the name of the Pentecostalist Church denomination comes from, since Pentecostalist worship often includes the practice of speaking in tongues.
Pentecost is also called Whitsun, Whitsunday, Whit Sunday, Whitsuntide, especially in the United Kingdom.
A depiction of the Descent of the Holy Spirit in the Rosary Garden of San Carlos Seminary, Guadalupe Viejo, Makati City, Philippines.
According to legend, King Arthur always gathered all his knights at the round table for a feast and a quest on Pentecost.
So ever the king had a custom that at the feast of Pentecost in especial, afore other feasts in the year, he would not go that day to meat until he had heard or seen of a great marvel.
- ► 2010 (48)
- Somedays I feel like I am holding a cat and pig w...
- Susan Boyle you are still Number #1 with me!
- Latin Hymn for Pentecost, 13th century
- O God the Holy Ghost
- Edwin Starr - War
- Donkey in Burgandy, France!
- Summer is almost here!
- Pre-College Remedial Classes
- I am glad Prop 8 was upheld in California
- Sotomayor is Obama's choice for Supreme Court seat...
- An Insult to Service
- Will Ye Go Flanders
- WHERE HAVE ALL THE FLOWERS GONE
- Memorial Day 2009
- My horse made and ass out of me today.
- Tomorrow the horse dentist comes
- I admire John Frederick Herring in bed.
- Black clergy opposing gay marriage resent civil ri...
- Preakness Winner: A Star Is Born
- Skewball the Racehorse
- Rachel Alexandra wins the Preakness
- John Frederick Herring
- John Frederick Herring does Equines!!!
- 2009 The Preakness Stakes Runs Today
- Working horses of Old England
- Plowing Time
- Foal Born on Sunday, Mother's Day!
- Foal Born Last Sunday
- Nikolai V. Gogol, Steeds
- Happy Birthday Jim!
- Family Values
- Jesus is the Prince of Peace not the God of War!
- Why We Can Never Do Enough for Mother's Day (No Re...
- Some Lessons, and Concerns
- Officials Are Urged to Heed Lessons of 1976 Flu Ou...
- Nice going, mom! Right whales break birth record!
- Curls Before Swine!
- The Taliban, America's Child
- This is very very disturbing!
- Premonitions and Spirtuality
- Man Serious Threat to Pig Safety
- Morris Dancing for May Day!
- Song On May Morning
- Cold Pork
- PIG FLU UPDATE: MORE QUESTIONS ABOUT FACTORY FARMS...
- Happy May Day!
- George Morland, Another nice donkey painting!
- ▼ May (48)
- I grew up in Chautauqua County, NY. I graduated from Edinboro University of Pennyslvania in 1981 with a BFA in Jewelry and Metalworking. I have been married 31 years. I currently run a small business with my husband. We both enjoy the outdoors and animals a great deal and live on a tiny farm in Western, NY.