Saturday, April 4, 2009
Illuminated Manuscripts of Christ
(Les Très Riches Heures du duc de Berry, Folio 173v - The Entry into Jerusalem the Musée Condé, Chantilly.
The Très Riches Heures du Duc de Berry is usually referred to as "le roi des manuscrits enluminés" or "the king of the illuminated manuscripts", but it is also a pinnacle in the entire history of painting. Commissioned by Jean, Duc de Berry in 1413, it was painted by the Limbourg brothers who left it unfinished at their (and the Duc's) death in 1416. The Duc Charles I de Savoie commissioned Jean Colombe to complete the painting of the manuscript between 1485-1489. The typical medieval manuscript called a book of hours is an abbreviated form of the breviary which contained the Divine Office recited in monasteries. The books of hours were composed for the lay people who wished to incorporate elements of monasticism into their devotional life. Reciting the hours typically centered upon the recitation or singing of a number of psalms, accompanied by set prayers.
- ► 2010 (48)
- Donkey and Pigs by George Morland
- More Pigs painted by Morland
- George Morland
- Edgar Hunt also Painted Pigs
- How life should be
- COULD IT BE FACTORY FARM FLU?
- Resources to combat swine flu hysteria
- Edgar Hunt, English Painter
- William Adolphe Bouguereau - Donkey Ride
- Pharisees, Sadducees, and Essenes
- Erskine Nicol RSA ARA (1825-1904)
- Donkey Clock
- A Christian Mistake , a really big one....
- Hoofprint to History
- William Holman Hunt
- The Light of the World
- Thus ends my Blogging of Lent 2009!
- The Incredulity of Saint Thomas
- Happy Easter!
- Christ and the Disciples at Emmaus
- The Morning of the Resurrection
- An Easter Carol
- EASTER EVEN
- An Easter Poem
- Antonio Ciseri
- John 19:38-42
- Holy Saturday
- They Laid him in the Tomb
- I know my Redeemer lives
- Jesus Wept - by Ralph McTell
- Good Friday
- The most moving of Portraits of Christ
- Still More Tissot, 'Jesus Is Flogged in the Face
- Christ of St John of the Cross
- Trebon Altarpiece, circa 1380
- Last Supper window St. Giles Cathedral, Edinburgh
- Last Supper, Salvador Dalí. (Spanish, 1904-1989)
- Noel Paton
- Jesus At Bethany by Tissot
- Jesus Washing Peter's Feet. by Ford Madox Brown
- Last Supper by James Tissot
- Maundy Thursday
- Fresco of Judas and Jesus by Cimabue or Torriti?
- 2009 Passover begins
- Tissot Kiss of Judas
- Matthew 26:1-5, 14-25, & More Art Related to the B...
- John 13:21-35 & The Kiss of Judas in art
- The Accursed Fig Tree (Le figuier maudit)
- Matthew 21:18-19 Jesus Curses the Fig Tree
- Them that Sold and Bought from the Temple
- Mark 11:15-19
- Stained Glass , Mary Washes the Feet of Christ
- Mark 14:3-9 & William Hole the artist
- John 12:1-11 and more Tissot
- More from Tissot
- Italian Palm Sunday Painting
- This is a really good video, please watch?
- A Joyous Palm Sunday to You All!
- The Cathedral of Seville
- Illuminated Manuscripts of Christ
- Entrance into Jerusalem Icon
- Orthodox Icon of Christ
- And now a look to the East...
- James Tissot (1836-1902 French)
- Tomorrow is Palm Sunday
- The Legend of the Donkey's Cross
- Triumphal Entry Carving from Notre Dame Cathedral
- ▼ April (68)
- I grew up in Chautauqua County, NY. I graduated from Edinboro University of Pennyslvania in 1981 with a BFA in Jewelry and Metalworking. I have been married 31 years. I currently run a small business with my husband. We both enjoy the outdoors and animals a great deal and live on a tiny farm in Western, NY.