He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself. After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded. Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet? Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter. Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me. Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.
Jesus Washing Peter's Feet. 1852-56 by Ford Madox Brown
This picture illustrates the biblical story of Christ washing his disciples’ feet at the Last Supper. It has an unusually low viewpoint and compressed space. Critics objected to the picture’s coarseness – it originally depicted Jesus only semi-clad. This caused an outcry when it was first exhibited and it remained unsold for several years until Ford Madox Brown reworked the figure in robes.Brown was never invited to join the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood but he was a close associate of the group. Several members modelled for the disciples in this picture and the critic F G Stephens sat for Christ.
Ford Madox Brown (16 April 1821 – 6 October 1893) was an English painter of moral and historical subjects, notable for his distinctively graphic and often Hogarthian version of the Pre-Raphaelite style. While he was closely associated with the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, he was never actually a member. Nevertheless, he remained close to Dante Gabriel Rossetti, with whom he also joined William Morris's design company, Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co., in 1861.
- ► 2010 (48)
- Donkey and Pigs by George Morland
- More Pigs painted by Morland
- George Morland
- Edgar Hunt also Painted Pigs
- How life should be
- COULD IT BE FACTORY FARM FLU?
- Resources to combat swine flu hysteria
- Edgar Hunt, English Painter
- William Adolphe Bouguereau - Donkey Ride
- Pharisees, Sadducees, and Essenes
- Erskine Nicol RSA ARA (1825-1904)
- Donkey Clock
- A Christian Mistake , a really big one....
- Hoofprint to History
- William Holman Hunt
- The Light of the World
- Thus ends my Blogging of Lent 2009!
- The Incredulity of Saint Thomas
- Happy Easter!
- Christ and the Disciples at Emmaus
- The Morning of the Resurrection
- An Easter Carol
- EASTER EVEN
- An Easter Poem
- Antonio Ciseri
- John 19:38-42
- Holy Saturday
- They Laid him in the Tomb
- I know my Redeemer lives
- Jesus Wept - by Ralph McTell
- Good Friday
- The most moving of Portraits of Christ
- Still More Tissot, 'Jesus Is Flogged in the Face
- Christ of St John of the Cross
- Trebon Altarpiece, circa 1380
- Last Supper window St. Giles Cathedral, Edinburgh
- Last Supper, Salvador Dalí. (Spanish, 1904-1989)
- Noel Paton
- Jesus At Bethany by Tissot
- Jesus Washing Peter's Feet. by Ford Madox Brown
- Last Supper by James Tissot
- Maundy Thursday
- Fresco of Judas and Jesus by Cimabue or Torriti?
- 2009 Passover begins
- Tissot Kiss of Judas
- Matthew 26:1-5, 14-25, & More Art Related to the B...
- John 13:21-35 & The Kiss of Judas in art
- The Accursed Fig Tree (Le figuier maudit)
- Matthew 21:18-19 Jesus Curses the Fig Tree
- Them that Sold and Bought from the Temple
- Mark 11:15-19
- Stained Glass , Mary Washes the Feet of Christ
- Mark 14:3-9 & William Hole the artist
- John 12:1-11 and more Tissot
- More from Tissot
- Italian Palm Sunday Painting
- This is a really good video, please watch?
- A Joyous Palm Sunday to You All!
- The Cathedral of Seville
- Illuminated Manuscripts of Christ
- Entrance into Jerusalem Icon
- Orthodox Icon of Christ
- And now a look to the East...
- James Tissot (1836-1902 French)
- Tomorrow is Palm Sunday
- The Legend of the Donkey's Cross
- Triumphal Entry Carving from Notre Dame Cathedral
- ▼ April (68)
- I grew up in Chautauqua County, NY. I graduated from Edinboro University of Pennyslvania in 1981 with a BFA in Jewelry and Metalworking. I have been married 31 years. I currently run a small business with my husband. We both enjoy the outdoors and animals a great deal and live on a tiny farm in Western, NY.