Thursday, April 30, 2009

George Morland


George Morland (1763 - 1804)

Morland was a prodigious artist who, although he lived only 41 years, produced as many as 4,000 paintings, many of which were reproduced as etchings and mezzotints. Morland was a popular artist during his lifetime, though his work was sometimes criticized for being too base and for adhering too closely to nature while lacking the uplifting qualities found in the country scenes of artists such as Thomas Gainsborough (1727-1788).

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I grew up in Chautauqua County, NY. I graduated from Edinboro University of Pennyslvania in 1981 with a BFA in Jewelry and Metalworking. I have been married 31 years. I currently run a small business with my husband. We both enjoy the outdoors and animals a great deal and live on a tiny farm in Western, NY.