Sunday, January 11, 2009
Eugène Joseph Verboeckhoven (1790-1881), Belgian painter, was born at Warneton in West Flanders, and received instruction in drawing and modelling from his father, the sculptor Barthélemy Verboeckhoven. Subsequently he settled in Brussels and devoted himself almost exclusively to animal subjects.
Shepherd with animals in the countryside
attributed to Eugène Verboeckhoven - private collection
His paintings of sheep, of horses and of cattle in landscape, somewhat after the manner of Paulus Potter, brought him universal fame, and were eagerly sought for by collectors. Precise and careful finish is the chief quality of his art, which is entirely objective and lacking in inspiration. Verboeckhoven visited England in 1826, Germany in 1828, and France and Italy in 1841, and died at Brussels in 1881. He was a member of the academies of Brussels, Ghent, Antwerp, St. Petersburg and Amsterdam. Examples of his art are to be found in nearly all the important galleries of Europe and the United States, notably in Brussels, Antwerp, Amsterdam, Hamburg, Berlin, Munich, New York, Boston and Washington D.C.. His long life and ceaseless industry account for the enormous number of his pictures in public and private collections and in the art market. In addition to his painted work he executed some fifty etched plates of similar subjects.
- ► 2010 (48)
- Please Celebrate with me!
- Bush's Final Approval Rating: 22 Percent!
- The Bush is almost Cleared!
- Donkeys at the Royal Highland Show
- donkey at Aberdour studio in Scotland
- Kirkbuddo Scottish Donkeys
- Christ surrounded by seven doves, Chartres Cathedr...
- Spiritu Sancti Seven Doves
- I am sorry to say...
- The Proud Prezes and all Tall!
- Merry Twelfth Night a bit late
- This is too Funny, 2008 in Perspective!
- And May this New Year Bring Great Things!
- ▼ January (14)
- I grew up in Chautauqua County, NY. I graduated from Edinboro University of Pennyslvania in 1981 with a BFA in Jewelry and Metalworking. I have been married 31 years. I currently run a small business with my husband. We both enjoy the outdoors and animals a great deal and live on a tiny farm in Western, NY.