Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Christ surrounded by seven doves, Chartres Cathedral Stained Glass
Chartres Cathedral Stained Glass
Jesse Window (c.1150): King, Mary and Christ
A king, the Virgin Mary and Christ surrounded by seven doves representing the gifts of the spirit. Detail of the Jesse Window, dating from about 1150. It depicts the Tree of Jesse, a popular medieval motif showing a family tree of the royal ancestory of Christ. It is based on the prophecy of Isaiah: "there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a branch shall grow out of his roots" (Isaiah 11:1). This window, the right lancet beneath the west rose, is one of only a few survivors of the fire of 1194 that destroyed most of the previous cathedral.
- ► 2010 (48)
- Please Celebrate with me!
- Bush's Final Approval Rating: 22 Percent!
- The Bush is almost Cleared!
- Donkeys at the Royal Highland Show
- donkey at Aberdour studio in Scotland
- Kirkbuddo Scottish Donkeys
- Christ surrounded by seven doves, Chartres Cathedr...
- Spiritu Sancti Seven Doves
- I am sorry to say...
- The Proud Prezes and all Tall!
- Merry Twelfth Night a bit late
- This is too Funny, 2008 in Perspective!
- And May this New Year Bring Great Things!
- ▼ January (14)
- I grew up in Chautauqua County, NY. I graduated from Edinboro University of Pennyslvania in 1981 with a BFA in Jewelry and Metalworking. I have been married 31 years. I currently run a small business with my husband. We both enjoy the outdoors and animals a great deal and live on a tiny farm in Western, NY.