Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Christ surrounded by seven doves, Chartres Cathedral Stained Glass


Chartres Cathedral Stained Glass
Jesse Window (c.1150): King, Mary and Christ
A king, the Virgin Mary and Christ surrounded by seven doves representing the gifts of the spirit. Detail of the Jesse Window, dating from about 1150. It depicts the Tree of Jesse, a popular medieval motif showing a family tree of the royal ancestory of Christ. It is based on the prophecy of Isaiah: "there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a branch shall grow out of his roots" (Isaiah 11:1). This window, the right lancet beneath the west rose, is one of only a few survivors of the fire of 1194 that destroyed most of the previous cathedral.

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/france/chartres-cathedral-window-photos/slides/w01_8359c.htm

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I grew up in Chautauqua County, NY. I graduated from Edinboro University of Pennyslvania in 1981 with a BFA in Jewelry and Metalworking. I have been married 31 years. I currently run a small business with my husband. We both enjoy the outdoors and animals a great deal and live on a tiny farm in Western, NY.