Sunday, December 21, 2008
Carol of the Friendly Beasts
Jesus, our Brother, strong and good,
Was humbly born in a stable rude,
And the friendly beasts around Him stood,
Jesus, our Brother, strong and good.
“I,” said the donkey, shaggy and brown,
“I carried His mother uphill and down,
I carried His mother to Bethlehem town;
I,” said the donkey, shaggy and brown.
“I,” said the cow, all white and red,
“I gave Him my manger for His bed,
I gave Him hay to pillow His head;
I,” said the cow, all white and red.
“I,” said the sheep with curly horn,
“I gave Him my wool for His blanket warm,
He wore my coat on Christmas morn;
I,” said the sheep with curly horn.
“I,” said the dove, from the rafters high,
“I cooed Him to sleep that He should not cry,
We cooed Him to sleep, my mate and I;
I,” said the dove, from the rafters high.
Thus all the beasts, by some good spell,
In the stable dark were glad to tell
Of the gifts they gave Emmanuel,
The gifts they gave Emmanuel.
The song seems to have originated in 12th-century France, set to the melody of the Latin song Orientis Partibus. The current English words were written by Robert Davis (1881-1950) in the 1920s. ] Burl Ives included the song on his 1952 album Christmas Day in the Morning. Since then, it has been recorded by many other artists, including Harry Belafonte, Johnny Cash, Danny Taddei, Peter, Paul and Mary, and Sufjan Stevens.
- ► 2010 (48)
- ► 2009 (263)
- Happy New Year!
- Santa Haulin Ass!
- Christ Child with Saint Nick on Donkey.
- More From My Saint Nick and Donkey Collection!
- GEORGE MORLAND
- Merry Christmas to You All!
- German Chocolate Mold!
- The Saint and His wee Donkey
- Donkey and Sleigh!
- Saint Nick in regalia!
- Santa astride his Donkey.
- More from my Christmas collection of Donkey Art.
- The donkey in Christmas!
- Jolly Saint Nick and his Faithful Donkey!
- The real Saint Nick walks with his Donkey!
- Palin is so clueless!
- No Reindeer!
- Carol of the Friendly Beasts
- On the Way To Market by Thomas Smythe
- This is one of my very favorites by Hans Thoma!
- Flight to Egypt
- The Legend of the Donkey's Bray
- Nearly freezin my ass off in NY
- ▼ December (23)
- I grew up in Chautauqua County, NY. I graduated from Edinboro University of Pennyslvania in 1981 with a BFA in Jewelry and Metalworking. I have been married 31 years. I currently run a small business with my husband. We both enjoy the outdoors and animals a great deal and live on a tiny farm in Western, NY.