Thursday, April 1, 2010
The Last Supper (1542), Rome, Galleria Borghese
Jacopo Bassano (also known as Jacopo da Ponte, c. 1510 – 13 February 1592) was an Italian painter active in the Republic of Venice. He was born and died in Bassano del Grappa near Venice, from which he adopted the name.
His father Francesco Bassano the Elder was a "peasant artist" and Jacopo adopted some of his style as he created religious paintings with novel features including animals, farmhouses, and landscapes. He trained initially with his father, Francesco da Ponte the Elder, then in the studio of Bonifacio Veneziano. His mature style, however, followed the example of Titian. Having worked in Venice and other Italian towns, he established a workshop in Bassano with his four sons: Francesco the Younger , Girolamo, Giovanni Battista and Leandro. They shared his style, and some works are difficult to attribute precisely.
While he learnt from other artists of the time, his relationships with them varied, notably when he portrayed Titian as a moneychanger in Purification of the Temple. Other particularly notable works include Jacob’s Return to Canaan, Dives and Lazarus, Acteon and the Nymphs, The Last Supper and Annunciation to the Shepherds.
He died in Bassano.
- MAY IN BLOOM
- Theft'? Loss of cheap power at issue
- John Deere Tractor
- My Cardigan Welsh Corgi Bitch
- Algernon Charles Swinburne
- LINES WRITTEN IN EARLY SPRING
- SOME keep the Sabbath going to church
- IT ’S like the light,—
- Emily Elizabeth Dickinson
- Each-Life-Converges by Emily Dickinson
- THE ROBIN
- The Lamb
- New Lamb born today
- The End of the Day
- KATHARINE TYNAN, A Favorite Irish Poet of Mine
- THE FLYING WHEEL
- OF ST. FRANCIS AND THE ASS
- Sheep and Lambs
- A Better Resurrection
- “GOOD FRIDAY” – by Christina G. Rossetti
- ‘Twas on a Holy Thursday, Their Innocent Faces Cle...
- The Last Supper (1542), Rome, Galleria Borghese
- ▼ April (23)
- ► 2009 (263)
- I grew up in Chautauqua County, NY. I graduated from Edinboro University of Pennyslvania in 1981 with a BFA in Jewelry and Metalworking. I have been married 31 years. I currently run a small business with my husband. We both enjoy the outdoors and animals a great deal and live on a tiny farm in Western, NY.