by: Katharine Tynan Hinkson (1861-1931)
When I was young the days were long,
Oh, long the days when I was young:
So long from morn to evenfall
As they would never end at all.
Now I grow old Time flies, alas!
I watch the years and seasons pass.
Time turns him with his fingers thin
A wheel that whirls while it doth spin.
There is no time to take one’s ease,
For to sit still and be at peace:
Oh, whirling wheel of Time, be still,
Let me be quiet if you will!
Yet still it turns so giddily,
So fast the years and seasons fly,
Dazed with the noise and speed I run
And stay me on the Changeless One.
I stay myself on Him who stays
Ever the same through nights and days:
The One Unchangeable for aye,
That was and will be: the one Stay,
O’er whom Eternity will pass
But as an image in a glass;
To whom a million years are nought,--
I stay myself on a great Thought.
I stay myself on the great Quiet
After the noises and the riot;
As in a garnished chamber sit
Far from the tumult of the street.
Oh, wheel of Time, turn round apace!
But I have found a resting-place.
You will not trouble me again
In the great peace where I attain.
- MAY IN BLOOM
- Theft'? Loss of cheap power at issue
- John Deere Tractor
- My Cardigan Welsh Corgi Bitch
- Algernon Charles Swinburne
- LINES WRITTEN IN EARLY SPRING
- SOME keep the Sabbath going to church
- IT ’S like the light,—
- Emily Elizabeth Dickinson
- Each-Life-Converges by Emily Dickinson
- THE ROBIN
- The Lamb
- New Lamb born today
- The End of the Day
- KATHARINE TYNAN, A Favorite Irish Poet of Mine
- THE FLYING WHEEL
- OF ST. FRANCIS AND THE ASS
- Sheep and Lambs
- A Better Resurrection
- “GOOD FRIDAY” – by Christina G. Rossetti
- ‘Twas on a Holy Thursday, Their Innocent Faces Cle...
- The Last Supper (1542), Rome, Galleria Borghese
- ▼ April (23)
- ► 2009 (263)
- I grew up in Chautauqua County, NY. I graduated from Edinboro University of Pennyslvania in 1981 with a BFA in Jewelry and Metalworking. I have been married 31 years. I currently run a small business with my husband. We both enjoy the outdoors and animals a great deal and live on a tiny farm in Western, NY.