Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Collecting Cockles with Donkeys in Wales


Penclawdd in Wales is famous for its local cockle industry which goes back for many years to Roman times. These cockles are collected from the extensive sandy flats in the Burry Estuary and the cockles harvested there are sold worldwide. Samples of these famous cockles can be purchased at the stalls in Swansea Market and locally in the village itself. Up until 1970s the cockles were gathered by women using hand-rakes and riddles (coarse sieves) with the help of donkeys often under very hard conditions. Now the shellfish are harvested mostly by men, still by hand but using tractors or Land Rovers.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I grew up in Chautauqua County, NY. I graduated from Edinboro University of Pennyslvania in 1981 with a BFA in Jewelry and Metalworking. I have been married 31 years. I currently run a small business with my husband. We both enjoy the outdoors and animals a great deal and live on a tiny farm in Western, NY.